Sunday, July 21, 2013

Re-Badged to how the rest of the world gets 'em

Today I removed the Scion badges and put on the Toyota badges.  Seeing as how everyone else in the world except the United States gets this car with the Toyota badges, it only seemed like the right thing to do. I decided to keep the stock chrome look.  I'm not planning on blacking out the front headlight housings, so I think the chrome badge looks better than a blacked out badge.  If the housings were darker, the black badge would make more sense.  Here is what I did:

1.  I took the car on a run to Petco and parked it in the blazing hot summer sun for 30 minutes then drove it home.

2.  I sprayed the emblem area with quick detailing spray to provide lubrication to the painted areas while working on the adhesive.


3.  For removing emblems, moldings, or anything else adhered to the car, I like to use old membership cards that are medium-firm.  Today the Craftsman Club card was called up to duty.

Front

Rear

Rear removed

4.  Once the emblem is off, some glue will remain. I found that just by working my thumb I was able to get 99% of the adhesive off and cause minimal irritation to the paint.  It helped that the surface was still quite warm.  I used a petroleum base solvent very sparingly and carefully to get the remaining small adhesive sections left behind.

5.  Since I used a solvent to remove the adhesive, and since this badge is a different shape than the factory badge, I decided to re-do the Opticoat.  First was to clean with a car soap spray and wipe down.

6.  Next, I hand polished the area.


7.  Then I liberally sprayed on the alcohol cleaner and wiped off any remaining oils.


8.  After that was completely dry, I applied 5 drops of Opticoat to the applicator pad, which was more than enough to do these small sections. 


9.  After allowing the Opticoat to do its initial cure, the emblems were placed on the car.  Nice!

Front of car

Rear of car

Now... about those Scion badges on the wheels and that FR-S logo on the trunk...

No comments:

Post a Comment