Saturday, March 2, 2013

First Oil Change!

Today I decided to do the first oil change.  Scions come with free maintenance for the first 24 months, at the intervals determined by Scion.  I didn't want to wait too much time for the first oil change given the relatively low miles seen by the FR-S, and I also have a fairly extensive road trip planned that would technically require an oil change somewhere 2/3 of the way through the trip.  In addition, I really don't like taking my vehicle to any  dealer for any service... ever.  Given all of that, I decided to go ahead and freshen the oil myself.

The FR-S takes 0W-20 synthetic (pretty sure all 0W oil is synthetic at this point, so that could be a redundant sentence).  I couldn't find many deals on 0W-20, nor could I find a great selection of brands and local shops selling anything on sale.  After trying to find Mobil1 synthetic on sale and some frustrations with Discount Auto Parts excluding 0W-20 from any sort of special, even after telling me they would honor it, I decided to hit up Leesburg Toyota Scion to see what the OEM 0W-20 pricing was like.  I did not buy from this dealer, but after talking with some folks there I really wish I had.  They are a smaller dealer, smaller market, and a bit more old school in some things.  It was a pleasant experience and good conversations on oil and other maintenance items.  Pricing was good as well.  The OEM synthetic was about $2 less per quart than the mobil1, and is actually one of the best rated oils on the "Bob Is The Oil Guy" forums.  Here is a shot of what was used.



The FR-S is super simple for performing and oil change.  The only car that I've discovered to be easier and cleaner to change the oil for is our 2004 4Runner.  The main things that make these two vehicles so simple is the placement of the oil filter.  Both vehicles place the oil filter above the engine, on the front of the engine, within easy reach, and upside down.  The drain plugs have easy clearance and the openings in the skid plates are ample to keep oil from getting caught up in them.

Here is a shot of the oil filter location (left) and the oil fill neck (right), within easy reach.


You really notice the light weight of the oil when you see how fast it drains.  It came blasting out once the plug was removed and drained in no time.  It drained more like water than oil.  It was something to see.  Having changed oil many times, I wasn't expecting that.  Thin oil is the new black, or something.  I had to snap a shot of this because it made me chuckle.  Everywhere you look on this Scion (Toyota), you see the Subaru logo.  I know it was a joint project, but man, based on the stampings everywhere you have to wonder what Toyota actually did on this car.




1 comment:

  1. Good choice! It does great on reducing oil aging and gives a quick cold weather starting. Whatever type of oil you use though, it’s necessary that you do oil change regularly to keep your FR-S running smoothly AND as fast for a long period. Who here is up for watching The Fast and the Furious 6? =D

    Rita McCall

    ReplyDelete