Saturday, March 2, 2013

Thoughts on Nameless Exhaust

I've swapped the exhausts back and forth to compare and decide it the Nameless Exhaust is what I want the car to sound like.  I currently have it on the car, and am likely to keep it on.

My exhaust preferences are as follows:
-Looks good on the car
-No Drone
-Sounds sporty at startup
-No Drone
-Not obnoxious in traffic, but noticeable when revving up to redline
-Not so loud that you can't hear the engine

I enjoy the stock setup, which includes the sound tube, decent growl from the engine overall.  You can't hear anything but the engine though, which at times can be good.  However, the stock exhaust tips are some of the ugliest I've ever seen.

The Nameless setup adds a nice exhaust note at the top end, and is pretty throaty at cold startup, giving the car some much needed personality.  The tips are much better than stock and fill the exhaust cutouts very well.  However, this one suffers from a well known issue with nameless exhausts, which is a slight misalignment of the tips and how far they stick out.  It bothered me at first, but over time I'm not noticing as much.  I notice the sound more, and am happy with that.  I enjoy that I can hear the exhaust, but also hear the engine note, and they seem to be at comparable volume when really getting on the gas.  It makes audible shifting very easy, eliminating the need to use the tach for anything.  I'm very sensitive to drone, and like any exhaust on a 4-banger engine, there is a small amount of drone.  The RPM's that 4-bangers run at on the highway are higher than comparable v6 and v8 engines, and there is going to be some drone.  This is most noticeable at 55 to 65 mph, and above that wind noise begins to overpower any exhaust sound.

All in all, I'm pleased with the Nameless exhaust.  I don't think there is a better one to match my exhaust preferences, and buying it used made it a great bargain.  I don't think I'll be swapping them back and forth anymore.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment