Saturday, September 29, 2012

Detail Day


Today was the first detail day for the FR-S.  I took the opportunity to freshen up the detail kit with some new polishes and pads, as well as try my first attempt using a paint sealant instead of a wax.

The car wash supplies ready for use, all but the clay bar just purchased from www.autogeek.net:


Citrus concentrated car wash
Mothers Clay Bar
Wolfgang Swirl Remover
Wolfgang Glaze
Lake Country Polishing Pads
Eraser spray
Opticoat 2.0

I started out with a wash and dry.  Once dry I used the clay bar on the entire car.  Even brand new you could hear the clay bar working and lifting the contaminants.  It was at this time I noticed how badly the dealership "detailer" scratched the paint.  It's kind of sad really.  After the clay was done I backed the car out for a second wash and dry.

Once dry, it was time to remove swirls.  I went to work on the dealership scratches and was able to mask them somewhat but not remove them.  I'm using a Porter Cable dual action polisher and to truly correct these scratches I would need a circular polisher and a whole lot more skill.  I elected to get it as good as I can get it and accept that there will be scratches sealed into the paint.  You have to look hard to see them, I'll know they are there, but if you're not looking for them you may miss them.  Below is a mid process shot of the swirl remover and pad.


Below is a shot of the front after swirl remover.  iPhone 3GS had a hard time focusing.


Next was the glaze.  It went on simple enough and really began to bring out depth in the red.   It was also applied with the polisher and a pad with less cut.


Below is a picture post glaze and before the Car Eraser rubdown.  The Eraser spray is an Isopropyl Alcohol spray that removes oils and deposits left behind by polishes.  When using a sealer, in order for it to effectively bond and seal, these oils and deposits must be removed.



All of this was done to prepare the car for Opticoat.  Opticoat is a sealer that chemically reacts and bonds to the clearcoat, making a protective layer on top of the clear.  It is known to last for 2 years before needing reapplication.  I have to admit, I was nervous to use this product.  It is the kind of product that barely comes with instructions, meaning it's not meant for average joe consumer.  In addition I had to certify I knew how to use this product prior to purchasing.  I watched some videos online and read on some detailing forums tips and tricks.  I was still uneasy though.  There are warnings galore.


This product is bizarre.  I went through the application process but have no idea if I did it right or if its adequate.  You basically put 4-6 little drops, yes DROPS, on the applicator pad and wipe in a cross hatch pattern.  This will be enough to do an entire panel, such as a fender, door, or quarter panel.  It doesn't look like much is going on, but these are the instructions and also is what the pro's were doing in the videos.  I would apply it, let it settle itself, and in about 2 minutes hit down and high spots with a light microfiber wipe.  I would go back after about 20 minutes to the panel and give it another light microfiber wipe.  I did this over the whole car, and it looked like I may have missed part of the hood so I did that a second time.  I gave one last light wipe down and the product must cure for 12 hours.  I don't believe the product was difficult to apply, though at this time I have no idea if I did it correctly.  It looks nice, but I don't know if I botched the job or not until water gets on it to see how even the coverage is.  Very unusual product and process to say the least.  This product is also safe on plastics, glass, whatever... but I just used it on the paint today.  Maybe I'll experiment on other materials another day.  Since it is only used 4 drops at a time, this appears to be a lifetime supply in this tiny syringe!

Some pictures after the Opticoat




The car reflects quite a bit now, even in the low light no-flash iphone pic in the garage. Last picture is me at the end, with the curve of the body panel giving me freakishly long E.T. fingers.


No comments:

Post a Comment